Sunday, November 13, 2011

Two Ingredients

I've been eyeing many canned pumpkin recipes, as it is one of the most popular flavors of the season.  But I was most intrigued with the claims of combining a boxed cake mix with a can of pumpkin.  No eggs, no oil, nothing else.  I had to try it for myself.

Libby's 100% Pure Canned Pumpkin is low in fat and high in fiber.  According to a recipe on Hungry Girl's website 1/12 of the recipe, I'd recommend making a dozen muffins, 183 calories, 3.5g fat, 301mg sodium, 37g carbs, 1.25g fiber, 20.5g sugars, 2g protein -- PointsPlus® value 5.

As I combined the two ingredients, I was skeptical as to how the batter would turn out.  After a few minutes of mixing, a thick, creamy batter appeared.  I scooped the batter into individual muffin tins and baked them at 350 for almost 30 minutes.  Every 10 minutes I checked the progress of the muffins with a toothpick.  When the toothpick came out clean I knew that they were done.

I will admit I was impressed at how well they turned out.  Baking at altitude can be daunting and I didn't know if these muffins would fall like some cakes tend to do when they come out of the oven.

The pumpkin flavor is definitely prominent and the cake mix has just the right spices.  This is definitely a dense cake, full of moisture.  I find it best to describe the flavor and texture of these muffins to the filling of a pumpkin pie.


No comments:

Post a Comment