Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Onion Soup

With the arrival of cooler temperatures I find myself looking forward to warm, comfort food and soup is one of the first foods that comes to mind.  One of my all time favorite soups is French Onion. 

I have been a fan of this soup for a long time, but since our trip to Paris I can't eat it without thinking of sitting in a cozy bistro, warming up on delicious "Soupe a l'Oignon au Fromage" after day of walking from one museum to the next in the rain.

The ingredients available in the US, and especially here in Fraser, cannot compare to France. I've yet to completely replicate the flavors of Paris.  But in a pinch, for a quick and easy meal, I default to the recipe on the back of the Holland House Sherry Cooking Wine bottle.


French Onion Soup


4 Tbsp. butter
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp. flour
½ cup Holland House Sherry Cooking Wine
1 quart low-sodium beef broth
 
Country style bread, cubed and toasted
Gruyere or other cheese that melts easily
 
In saucepan, brown onions in butter and sprinkle with flour.
Simmer over low heat, 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Deglaze with wine.
Add beef broth to onions and boil slowly until onions are tender.
Pour soup into bowls.
Top with bread cubes and cheese.
Melt under broiler until golden and bubbly.

Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment