Sunday, October 16, 2011

Warm Up With Chili

As I see the snow accumulating on the mountains I find myself wanting make a big pot of chili to warm up with for dinner.  Chili is a favorite quick week night recipe or something that can be enjoyed on a weekend of watching football.  This is great meal because it also makes a fast, delicious leftover lunch and you can freeze any extra you don't eat.

Though there are many delicious chili recipes that I enjoy creating, this is my go to recipe.

Quick & Easy Chili

1 pound ground beef
1 onion finely chopped
1 red bell pepper chopped (sometimes I use red)
1 cup celery chopped

2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1 (14oz) can baked beans
1 (14oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (28oz)can diced tomatoes

In a large stock pot brown meat, drain fat and set to the side.
In the same pot saute onion, bell pepper, and celery until soft.
Add spices to the veggies and mix for a couple minutes to develop flavor.
Return meat to the pot and add canned ingredients.
Simmer for at least 20 minutes, but the longer the better.


My favorite way to enjoy a bowl of chili is with Fritos or Tortilla chips and shredded cheese.  A dollop of sour cream and some sliced green onions doesn't hurt either.

No comments:

Post a Comment